7 Best Cameras Under 400 Dollars
Camera prices seem to rise exponentially these days, so it’s no surprise that many people are looking for the most affordable way to buy a brand new model. The dilemma is that less expensive cameras don’t perform as well and can produce worse video footage than you might have guessed. But that’s not entirely true.
After thorough research, we have found the best cameras under 400 dollars. This article will detail how to know what camera is right for you and which things to consider when buying a used camera.
- 1 Best Cameras Under 400
- 2 Things to consider when you are buying a $400 camera
- 3 Verdict
Best Cameras Under 400
1. Panasonic Lumix FZ80
- Point and Shoot Long Zoom Camera: 18.1 megapixel MOS sensor plus 60X zooms DC Vario lens (20 1220 millimeter and Power O.I.S. (Optical Image Stabilizer) captures far off moments
- High Resolution View Finder and LCD Display: High resolution 1,170K dot view finder and rear touch enabled 3 inch LCD Display (1040 dots) are clear even in bright sunlight. Lens:14 elements in 12 groups
- 4K video Capture: 4K QFHD video recording (3840 x 2160) with three unique 4K ultra HD video pause and save 4K photo modes extracts individual high resolution Photos from 4K ultra HD video filmed at 30 frames per second to capture split second moments
- Low Light Performance: Low light capture lets you enjoy photography during your nightlife again with impressive results; Note: Refer to user manual PDF attached below in technical specification for trouble shooting steps are on page 54
- USB Charging and Wi-Fi Connectivity: Enjoy travel ready technologies like USB charging and Wi Fi connectivity to your mobile device; HDMI D (Micro), Micro USB and USB 2.0 provide additional connectivity to your favorite devices; Max resolution: 4896 x 3
The Panasonic Lumix FZ80 is the perfect camera for anyone who wants to purchase a camera that captures excellent photos and videos.
It has excellent features, like a large LCD screen, Lumix Dc Vario Lens, an easy-to-use interface, and good video or image quality. The Panasonic Lumix FZ80 is one of the best cameras under 400 dollars.
The camera has an 18.1-megapixel MOS sensor, allowing you to take high-quality photos and videos. The Panasonic Lumix FZ80 has excellent video quality, capturing 4k video at 30 fps. This camera is the best option if you want to buy a camera without spending too much money.
It has a 20-1200mm wide-angle lens. It has many features like an ISO up to 12800, Post Focus, and Focus Stacking mode that lets you edit your videos after they are shot. It has a powerful optical image stabilization technology that reduces camera shakes in your recordings, even when there is a lot of movement or trying to take photos over long distances.
There is a High-resolution viewfinder and touchscreen 3-inch LCD. The touchscreen display allows you to use your fingers to select the focus point, adjust exposure, change frames, shoot videos, and much more.
Panasonic Lumix FZ80 has USB charging and wifi connectivity; you can quickly transfer files from one device to another. The camera has a built-in GPS, which helps to geo-tag your photos. You can find your pictures in the map view with the help of this feature.
- Full Range 60X Long Zoom
- Impressive Low-Light Performance
- Comfort Grip and High-Resolution Viewfinder
- USB charging for long-lasting battery life
- Wifi connection for easy sharing
- Poor quality action shots
- No focus ring
2. Minolta Pro Shot
- captures sharp images and full hd (1080p) video
- 20-megapixel cmos sensor and 67x optical zoom
- 3 lcd display
- has 14 scene modes, face detection, smile detection, blink detection, photo touch-up, continuous shooting mode, 360° panorama shooting and built-in flash with red-eye reduction
- feature optical image stabilization and high dynamic range (hdr)
- Lens type: Telephoto
- Viewfinder type: Electro
The Minolta Pro-shot is another excellent choice for an affordable camera. It has many features, like a 20-megapixel CMOS sensor, 67x optical zoom, 4 scene modes, face detection, smile detection, blink detection, photo touch-up, continuous shooting mode, and 360° panorama shooting. The Minolta Pro Shot is one of the best cameras under 400 dollars on our list.
The camera has more than one way to connect to your smartphone or tablet using USB and wifi connectivity. The camera has a built-in stereo microphone, allowing you to record the sound of your surroundings while you are recording videos or taking photos.
An optical image stabilization system helps to reduce camera shake during shooting. You can take explicit videos even at a long distance or when there is movement in the environment. The camera also has a flash that can illuminate different parts of your photos with the help of this feature.
A fast optical zoom, the Minolta Pro Shot has an optical zoom that is more than 67x. This allows you to take explicit videos even at a long distance or when there is movement in the environment.
The camera can display photos on its LCD screen anytime you want. You can also use your screens to record videos and take pictures without switching to many settings.
- 20 Megapixel Still Image Resolution for enhancing image quality
- 1080p Full HD viedo recording
- Optical Image Stabilization
- 67x optical zoom
- The accessories that come with the camera are disappointing
3. Panasonic LUMIX DC-ZS70S
- 20.3 Megapixel MOS sensor plus 30x Leica DC VARIO-ELMAR Lens (24-720 millimeter), plus 5-axis Hybrid o.I.S. (Optical image stabilizer)
- 0.2-Inch 1, 166k-dot EVF (electronic view Finder) with eye-sensor for easier viewing under sunny outdoor conditions
- 4K QFHD video recording (3840x2160), plus exclusive LUMIX 4K PHOTO and 4K Post Focus with internal Focus Stacking feature
- Lens barrel mounted control ring enables quick, intuitive operation of important functions
- Wi-Fi plus a 180 degree front flip-up touch feature-enabled screen simplifies selfie photography, and framing for unusual perspectives.Wifi:IEEE 802.11b/g/n.Battery life (Approx.):Approx. 380 images (rear monitor), 250 images (LVF)
The Panasonic Lumix DC ZS70S is another camera with incredible features under 400 dollars. It has an impressive 20-megapixel CMOS sensor and can capture amazing photos and videos. The camera captures high-quality images and has a 30x zoom digital zoom that allows you to take explicit videos in a wide-angle setting.
The camera has a fast processor that enables fast focusing and continuous shooting mode. The high-resolution image sensor, lens, and shooting capabilities allow you to take explicit videos even when there is movement in the environment or less light in your surroundings.
5-axis optical image stabilizer helps reduce camera shake in your recordings, even when there is a lot of movement, or you are trying to take photos over long distances. The camera has wifi and NFC connectivity features that allow you to wirelessly transfer photos and videos from one device to another.
You can also use the two built-in microphones simultaneously without having an additional microphone. The 4K video mode is another excellent feature of this camera, which lets you capture videos at 4k resolution, approximately at 30 frames per second.
A 180-degree front flip-up touchscreen display allows you to use your fingers to adjust the settings while shooting photos and videos. The large, 3″ LCD screen will help you get a clear view of the photos and videos you are taking.
- 20-megapixel CMOS sensor
- 30x Zoom digital zoom
- 4K Video recording capability
- 180° flip-up display for better viewing angles
- Repair facility service is terrible
- The camera is not weather-sealed
4. Panasonic LUMIX FZ300
- 4K video and 4K photo: Panasonic’s exclusive 4K photo technology uses 30 frames per second in high resolution 4K ultra HD video to extract them as photos; You’ll never miss that moment again
- Leica DC Vario Elmarit lens: 24x zoom (25 600 millimeter with Full zoom range F2; 8 aperture for enhanced low light shooting meeting the stringent quality standards established by Leica
- High image Quality: The 12.1 Megapixel high sensitivity MOS sensor with the venus engine excels in diffraction compensation, yielding images that are crisp and Free from artifacts associated with small aperture settings
- Rugged Camera Design: Splash Proof/dustproof rugged camera design with tight seals on every Joint, dial and button, so it stands up to harsh weather conditions and challenging
- 5 Axis Hybrid Optical Image Stabilizer Plus: Reduces blur from 1 handed video shooting by compensating for 5 types of movement; Level shot function detects horizon line and maintains it, even if the camera is til
The Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 is a compact camera. It features a large sensor capable of capturing high-quality images, combined with 4K video capabilities. The Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 can shoot up to 30 fps during 4K Ultra HD videos and take 30 photos per second when continuously shooting at HD resolution.
It has manual zoom capability and a ring to adjust settings without pushing buttons quickly. The FZ300 also has an impressive optical 24x zoom lens, which provides focal lengths from 25-600mm and lets you capture close-up shots.
The FZ300 has 4K Photo Modes, automatically detecting the subject’s face and adjusting settings to prevent blur. This is great for taking close-up shots, as it will reduce camera shake and blur due to fast shutter speeds.
This is one of the best cameras under 400 dollars to capture distant objects easily. It has a fast shooting rate of up to 30 fps, which will allow you to capture an instant in time most photographers miss during their travels.
The Panasonic LUMIX FZ300 can focus on moving subjects quickly. The DFD technology lets you track your issue and capture sharp, clear photos every time. This camera is constructed from high-grade material that is anti-fog and weatherproof to ensure its durability.
- The excellent image stabilisation system
- Good image quality
- Lightweight, compact design
- Wide zoom lens with 4K video recording abilities
- Various creative features for creative photography
- A tiny sensor, so low light images and video are limited
- No headphone jack for video
5. Nikon Coolpix L340
- 28x optical zoom, 56x Dynamic Fine Zooms; 2.3 CCD Sensor
- 20.20 MP CCD sensor for bright, sharp photos and HD videos; Frame coverage: Approx. 99% horizontal and vertical (compared to actual picture)
- HD 720p Video Recording at 30 fps Contrast-Detect AF System ISO 1600 and Built-In Flash
- 28x Zoom-NIKKOR f/3.1-5.9 ED VR Lens; 22.5-630mm (35mm Equivalent); 3.0 460k-Dot TFT-LCD Screen
- Includes a free 8GB memory card Plus LR6/L40 (AA-size) alkaline batteries (x4) , Lens Cap LC-CP25 (with cord), USB Cable UC-E16, Camera Strap
The Nikon Coolpix L340 is a camera that has many functions, making this camera one of the best cameras under 400 dollars. This Nikon camera has many features, like a 20.2MP sensor and a 28x optical zoom with 720p HD video recording.
The 32GB memory card provides plenty of room to store your photos, videos, and other essential files from your travels.
The camera’s intelligent auto mode lets you take high-quality photos and videos without worrying about exposure or focus settings. It will optimize the scenes, so you don’t have to do it manually, saving you time for other aspects of your photoshoot.
This camera offers a telephoto lens with a 56x dynamic fine zoom and optical Vibration Reduction to reduce camera shake when shooting distant objects. You can use these features to capture distant objects clearly, allowing you to perform close-up photoshoots efficiently.
The L340 comes with a high-output alkaline battery that allows you to enjoy a longer battery life. You can charge your camera using the included USB cable. You can even use it while you are charging the rechargeable battery.
The Nikon Coolpix L340 has an uncomplicated menu that allows you to make changes quickly without reading the manual. This camera’s auto mode offers an intelligent interface and setup for ease of use.
The auto mode allows you to automatically set the camera’s functions and adjust focus, sharpness, and brightness levels.
- 20.2MP sensor for good image quality
- 28x optical zoom and 56x dynamic fine zoom
- 720p HD video recording
- Telephoto lens with optical Vibration Reduction feature
- Zoom is not as good as advertised
- Battery life is low
6. Canon PowerShot G7
- New 1.0-inch, 20.2 MP High-Sensitivity CMOS Sensor combined with Canons powerful DIGIC 6 Image Processor
- f/1.8(W)-f/2.8(T), 4.2x optical Zoom (24mm-100mm), 9-blade iris diaphragm and IS equipped lens
- Selfie-ready multi-angle capacitive 3.0 touch panel LCD
- Capture stunning 1080p/60p Full HD video with up to 60 fps
- IMPORTANT NOTE: Please refer to the Product Descriptiion section for troubleshooting information. Built-in Wi-Fi and
The Canon PowerShot G7 has an impressive 20.2MP sensor and a 4.2x optical zoom lens with 4K Ultra HD video recording capability.
The lens on this camera has a unique variable-aperture setting to help you capture photo and video details clearly, even when there is little light in the environment.
This camera uses the Dual Pixel CMOS AF technology, which takes excellent photos, allowing you to focus on subjects close-up easily. The G7 is also equipped with an intelligent auto mode that automatically selects your settings, so you don’t have to worry about complicated settings like exposure and focus settings.
The DIGIC 6 Image Processor allows you to capture bright photos and videos with stunning clarity and vivid colors. This high-performance processor will enable you to take shots in various scenarios and conditions.
As you take photos and videos, the camera’s Intelligent Image Stabilization system helps you to reduce camera shake and blur. This enables you to capture sharp images and videos every time.
The G7 uses a 2.5″ LCD screen with an anti-smudge coating and complete touch control that allows you to adjust settings quickly without rapidly pushing settings buttons. The LCD screen is also very clear, enabling you to read things clearly without having to be in the shade or behind a tree.
- Built-in NFC and wifi connectivity
- high-speed continuous shooting
- 31 focus points
- Optimal Image Stabilization
- High-resolution Multi-angle Touch Panel LCD
- Auto mode does not work well
- The flip screen is a bit too tight
7. Fujifilm X20
- 12MP 2/3-inch CMOS sensor
- 28-112mm equivalent F2.0-2.8 lens with manual zoom (4x optical zoom)
- ISO 100-3200 (expandable to 12800)
- 2.8 LCD with 460,000 dots
- 1080, 60 fps HD video
- Advanced optical viewfinder with 85% coverage with shooting information and eye sensor
- PSAM control with automatic and scene modes
- Motion panorama mode up to 360-degrees
- Intelligent hybrid AF - TTL contrast AF / TTL phase detection
The Fujifilm X20 has a 12MP APS-C sensor and a fast F2.0-2.8 optical zoom lens with up to 5 fps. It has 11 different shooting modes and can capture photos at ISO settings up to 6400. The Fujinon 28-112mm lens offers 4x optical zoom, allowing you to perform close-up shots quickly without losing any detail.
This camera also can shoot 1080p video, allowing you to record your adventures in stunning high-quality resolution. It comes with 32GB of onboard storage. You can take as many photos and videos as you want while still having some memory space for other important files.
It has a 2.8″ LCD with 460,000 dots to see things clearly, even when in bright light. The LCD touchscreen offers 9-Point AF, giving you the ability to use focus points quickly and easily. Optical VR Image stabilization helps you eliminate blur from low-angle, low-light shots.
It is one of the best cameras under 400 dollars. It offers multiple features like a large 2/3″ 12MP X-Trans CMOS II Sensor, backside illumination technology, Digital Trans Panel, an ultra-thin LCD panel, etc.
- High-resolution touch screen display
- 12MP sensor with fantastic detail
- Variable aperture settings for sharp pictures and videos from inside the forest to faraway mountains
- Optimal image stabilization to help you avoid blur from low light settings
- Fuji manual can be confusing
- No USB charging
Things to consider when you are buying a $400 camera
We have broken down everything you need to know about buying a 400-dollar camera. When it comes to buying a camera for under $400, there are some things you should consider (other than affordability).
First and foremost, you should pay attention to the ergonomics of your camera. This means that you’ll want something that feels comfortable and easy to grip and maneuver.
A good camera will produce great images. Determining if a camera can have high image quality is simple once you know what to look for.
Another tip is that you’ll want to look for a camera with fast, quick-response AF systems because it will come in handy when filming fast-moving objects.
Many people may not be aware of this fact, but there are specific models of lenses that won’t work with certain cameras.
Many cameras don’t come with many extra features, but you can still find some that do. These features might include wifi connectivity, Image stabilization, 4K video recording, and more.
When buying a camera for under $400, you want to consider all of the facts discussed above. Make sure that you’re getting the most bang for your buck. The models listed above are some of the best cameras under 400 dollars on the market, so keep in mind that if you follow along with the tips above, you’ll be able to find something that fits all of your needs perfectly.
But if you ask us, our #1 choice would be the Minolta Pro Shot. With everything discussed above in mind, we believe that the Minolta Pro Shot should be your top pick on this list. It’s affordable, compact, lightweight, offers good image quality even in low light, and is easy to use.
Plus, it features a 20MP sensor with a 67x zoom lens and a 2-way extra-wide LCD touchscreen. These features combined make this camera the best option if you are searching for a great camera under 400 dollars.