My brother is an enormous photography enthusiast and loves to shoot vlogs regularly, especially when traveling. Since he loves adventure sports while visiting different places, I wanted to get him a good action camera on his 20th birthday. And after thorough research and reading tons of reviews, I finally got him a GoPro camera. And I thought my job was done there.
A few weeks ago, while looking at the footage he captured on the camera during a recent trip, he started talking about editing software. I felt a lot of you must be facing this confusion. So we are going to discuss the best GoPro editing software in this article.
I have tried a fair share of options myself and also via my cousin and some friends. And I would love to share my recommendations with you.
So what are we waiting for? Let’s dive right into it!
- 1 Do GoPros come with editing software?
- 2 10 Best Free/Paid GoPro Editing Software
- 3 What’s the best free editing software for GoPro?
- 4 FAQs
Do GoPros come with editing software?
The GoPro has its editing software, which you might have come across. It is the ‘Quik for Desktop’ software. There is an application version for your phone and your Mac and PC devices.
The significant advantage of using this software is that it is free of cost, but I will not say is the absolute best for editing your videos. Because I feel the features and the stuff you can do with it is very limited.
10 Best Free/Paid GoPro Editing Software
Now let’s get into the most significant section of the article and discuss my recommendations for the 10 best GoPro editing software. It can be overwhelming to choose just a few options from a bunch of fantastic, incredible editing software. And I have loved using all of these, which is why they made it to my recommendations list.
At the same time, I have observed that although you will notice various features in all these options, most feature a built-in footage stabilizer.
This list of the best GoPro editing software has options for both beginners and advanced users. While choosing the best options, the primary thing on my mind was the interface and if it was convenient to use. And some other features I look for our the quantity of audio and video tracks supported on the software, trimming feature to select the length you prefer, the type of video formats supported, and so on.
So let’s start with the recommendations.
Honestly, this one is not for absolute beginners, but I cannot deny that it is incredible. Adobe Premiere Pro has already established its name as a terrific video editing software for all the right reasons. The entire tool is comprehensive, has powerful editing features, and you get support for almost all GoPro video files, irrespective of whether it’s 4k, slow-mo, time-lapse, etc.
The interface is a little complex, but it will not take much time to get used to it. Another advantage of this software is that you can access the Adobe cloud platform, which makes storage and access easy.
This software became famous primarily because of the wide range of tools and features like the track-based timeline editor, transitions and effects, the ability to trim videos, multi-camera angle editing, the capability to download additional tools, unique video stabilization features, and much more.
The pricing is not cheap, but I still recommend it because it does the job well.
- Access to Adobe cloud storage to store and edit GoPro videos.
- You can change the format based on the social media platform you want to post on.
- A wide range of template options.
- Unlimited video tracks.
- Thousands of free graphics, stickers and visual effects to try out.
- Lightning fast media sharing.
- Top-notch color-correcting options.
The recommendation above is for slightly professional users. But the Adobe Premiere elements has to be one of my favorites for beginners. This is perfect if you have just started on this journey and are not looking for high-tech, expensive software.
But when I say it’s a tool for beginners, do not expect any compromises on the features and customization options. I love that it is compatible with both Windows and Mac devices.
I have mentioned above that the user interface matters to me a lot when compiling a list of the best GoPro editing software. And the Adobe Premiere elements delivers in that department. The interface is easy and clean, but you can also dig around to explore the complex features.
You can track object movements, apply preferred effects to your clip, edit audio, and do much more. Another significant advantage, in my opinion, is the 4K video support and unlimited video tracks.
If your video has been shot in the vertical format, you can also convert it into the horizontal format. The toolset available with the software has a wide range of features, and the price range for using this software is approximately 60 to 70 dollars.
- Automated editing feature to reframe the subject, fix grainy footage, etc.
- Easy to export videos in particular aspect ratios.
- Apply an effect to a specific object or area.
- Smart trim feature to compile the best scenes.
- It allows you to extract stunning pictures from raw videos.
- You can add fun animated overlays, create double exposure, and even animate skies.
This is another favorite in this list of the best GoPro editing software because you get comprehensive software with many features. You will especially love it if you want a lot of customization under a single roof without having to spend too much time on it. I say this because the features are easy to use and sports one-click corrections.
Whether you are looking for effects, templates, or filters, this software has tons of them for you to explore. I love the editing tools in this one because it improves the overall footage within just a few minutes. You can bid farewell shaky videos, apply speed effects, and correct fisheye distortion.
I have always been a fan of slow-motion videos, and this software does a fabulous job. Colour correction is one feature will look for in every good video editing software, and PowerDirector lets you do that very quickly. This video editor features noise correction and motion tracking features to ensure your footage is crystal clear and you can track accurate data from an object.
There is another advantage that I absolutely cannot miss mentioning. You get access to millions of royalty-free stuff like sound effects and background music. But there is a slight disadvantage as well. You must get a subscription to use the latest software features.
- It is compatible with both Windows and Mac devices.
- Chroma key lets you use green screen effects.
- You can completely transform the sky using the sky replacement feature.
- Mask unwanted people or objects to remove them from your GoPro videos.
- Weed removal feature to get clear audio in any weather condition.
- Reduce background noise for high-quality vocals.
- A massive royalty-free stock library.
- Screen recording and live streaming feature.
This one is especially for Mac users looking for a powerful video editing tool. One of my closest friends claims this to be the best GoPro editing software, and I can see why. Initially, Apple released this software as Final Cut Pro X, but they dropped the X later on.
It is perfect for Mac computers and syncs with Apple hardware and software. What I love about the Final Cut Pro is the wide range of unique features you get with it. You get to work with a magnetic timeline to move, trim, rearrange and split the footage easily. You do not need to use any third-party application for color wheels and curves.
It supports 8k, 360-degree, and HDR films, and you can apply graphics to 360-degree videos whenever you want to. I hate when things feel cluttered, and this software allows you to organize the source files systematically. You get access to tons of effects and filters, along with noise reduction and electronic stabilization tools to improve the quality of the footage.
If unsure about it, you can always go for the 90-day free trial. But I have to say that this particular software is a little expensive. And it may not be the best option for absolute newbies.
- Object tracker feature to modify moving footage.
- You can edit complex projects and deal with larger frame sizes.
- Magnetic timeline feature to move and trim clips effortlessly.
- Incredible organization support system.
- The software includes a Chroma key for high-quality green screen effects.
- It lets you improve the overall footage by reducing background noise.
- Multicam editing feature.
- Lets you import and edit 360-degree equirectangular footage.
Okay, I’ll be honest here. Firstly, I love this one because it is free. And secondly, despite being free, you get to use a range of professional-level tools and features. I feel this is one tool that both beginners and pro users enjoy. However, it will take a little time for beginners to get the hang of it.
You get a lot of tools to adjust shades, try out visual effects and transitions, and even add audio. You can go for stabilization when editing the videos right in the middle of it. DaVinci Resolve supports a wide range of formats, including 8k.
One of the features I enjoy using is the dual time scale. You can create a video montage to display the result, which is unique and helpful. This software is compatible with both Windows and Mac systems.
- It is a free software which comes with advanced features too.
- It offers 8k video support.
- The convenient dual timeline help display the results better.
- Great color-correcting features.
- You can create selections based on faces in the GoPro videos.
It is good to see some decent quality free editing software options, and Lightworks is one of them. First things first, my favorite thing about this software is that it is super beginner friendly and works exceptionally well for a Windows user. The interface is simple and easy to use, and the timeline editing tools are extremely helpful.
From inserting audios, changing the duration of the footage, and adding clips quickly to color grading like a pro, Lightworks lets you do everything and more. It gives you 4K editing support, and you can quickly export your footage to different services like Vimeo and YouTube.
You can try out the 7-day trial period and then register for free later. But if you want access to all the advanced editing tools and formats, you must go for the Pro license.
- Very simple and easy-to-use interface.
- It is compatible with Windows, Mac, and LINUX operating systems.
- You can import your footage at any frame rate.
- Background processing to let you continue working without worrying about the job backstage.
- The instant autosave feature ensures you never lose your work.
- There are hundreds of customizable prebuilt graphics.
- You get access to cloud storage to edit videos easily.
With this one, Apple users will feel lucky again, and you can easily download it from the Mac App Store. I love this for creating automatic movies as the software makes it easy to style and add different effects to video clips. You also get a wide range of templates and presets to elevate your footage further.
Again, the well-designed and easy-to-use interface wins bonus points from my side. Even if you are a beginner, iMovie will help you edit videos effortlessly with the help of both basic and advanced features. It supports HD and 4K videos, and you can even modify the speed of the footage with the help of speed adjustment tools.
The only reason why I might not rate it the best out of all is that it lacks a few features like motion tracking and 360-degree editing. But it is still worth trying out.
- More than 20 different styles to edit the look of the video.
- Multiple pre-made video templates and storyboards.
- Easily import and edit videos captured in the Cinematic mode.
- 13 creative video filters to add a cinematic touch.
- More than a hundred smart soundtracks.
- iMovie titles and backgrounds to add credits and personalized title cards.
8. Vegas Pro
We are moving slightly into the professional zone with this one. If you have worked with multiple GoPro video editing software and are skilled in this department, I kid you not; you may fall in love with this one.
The highly customized interface is the first thing I find attractive about the Vegas Pro. You can do many things, like adding effects and filters, using a subtitle track, editing Multicam, doing a 360-degree project, applying masks, using composite modes to create stylish and textured results, and much more.
And let’s not forget the pro features like HDR support, motion tracking, and video stabilization. You will enjoy the flexibility that comes with it and be satisfied with the results.
- Tons of effects, filters, and transitions to try out.
- Unlimited audio and video tracks.
- Multicam editing support.
- Keyframing and automation control.
- Customized layouts and workflow.
- Professional level color grading features.
This one is compatible with both Windows and Mac devices. I think this one is most suitable for users who are beginners in this field and want to do some quick edits. There are a lot of filters, titles, effects, and transitions to explore. Plus, you also get to enjoy color correction and automatic video stabilization.
The built-in soundtrack library lets you quickly add your preferred music, and Movavi lets you play around with slow-motion effects, Chroma key, and stickers. Today, creating content is all about adding your personal touch, and these features let you do precisely that.
Once you start getting the hang of it and want to explore more advanced features, you may want to move on from this. But until then, I’ll highly suggest this one.
- Chroma key lets you change the background of your clip to anything you prefer.
- The interface is easy to use.
- Lots of titles, filters, and transitions.
- Stunning stickers crafted by professional designers.
- Object animation and reverse video functionality.
- The software features one-click edits.
Just because I have placed this software at the bottom of the list of the best GoPro editing software, it does not mean that it is not efficient. This one is free, and the main reason why I feel you should give it a try is that it supports 3D modeling. It makes your creations far more realistic and is an excellent option if you are into creating animations and sculpting.
It lets you track objects and monitor the camera movement in real-time. The software offers many customization options, exciting filters, and the ability to fade in and fade out. You can modify the clip’s speed, mask specific areas, apply different keyframes, etc. The only con that I have observed is that it lags at times.
- You get up to 32 slots to add video, images, effects, masks, etc.
- Speed adjustment, keyframes, transitions, and filters.
- Camera and object tracking.
- The interface is easy to follow.
What’s the best free editing software for GoPro?
Out of all the recommendations, if I had to choose the best GoPro editing software, it would be DaVinci Resolve. You will hardly get any other software with such impressive features free of cost.
Whether a beginner or a pro, you will love using this software. I honestly believe that it is one of the best options you can get for color correcting and color grading features. The performance of this one comes close to some high-end options Adobe Premiere Pro.
There is a wide range of visual effects and transitions to try out, and the dual time scale certainly earns brownie points. It allows you to select your preferred software layout, and it can’t get better than this.
Last but not least, it is compatible with both Windows and Mac devices!
Is GoPro Quik good for editing?
GoPro Quik is not a bad option to try out for editing your GoPro videos. It is worth it if you are under a tight budget and want to use something quick and easy. Plus, you get unlimited cloud storage. However, the editing features are somewhat limited compared to other editing software.
Is GoPro studio the same as Quik?
No, GoPro studio and Quik are not precisely the same. The former can be considered a slightly advanced version of the latter. GoPro studio offers you some advanced editing features like image quality, frame rate, size modification, and so on. It also lets you create a time-lapse clip using single images without using the specific setting on the camera.
How much does GoPro Studio cost?
GoPro Studio is a free video editing software that lets you perform multiple functions within just a few minutes. It is a great option to try out if you are a beginner.
Is Quik editor free?
Yes, Quik editor is a free video editing software, and GoPro has brought forward this software. It has an easy-to-use interface and lets you edit and create incredible videos within just a few minutes.