10 Best Trail Camera for Security
The number and severity of property crimes have increased over the past few years. Nowadays, a security system is not just nice; it’s imperative. Surveillance cameras are one of the most effective ways to protect your home and belongings. But what kind of camera should you purchase? Which is the best trail camera for security?
This article will cover some basics on trail cameras, types of trail cameras available, the best features of various types of trail cameras, and help you determine which type will best suit your security needs. We will also review top-rated models currently available on the market for those who now need this type of camera.
- 1 Best Trail Camera for Security
- 1.1 1. Vikeri Trail Camera
- 1.2 2. GardePro A3 Trail Camera
- 1.3 3. GardePro E6 Trail Camera
- 1.4 4. SPYPOINT LINK-MICRO-S-LTE Solar Cellular Trail Camera
- 1.5 5. Meidase P60 Trail Camera
- 1.6 6. Yellowstone.ai 4G LTE Wireless Cellular Trail Camera
- 1.7 7. Wildgame Innovations Trail Camera
- 1.8 8. Bushnell Trophy Cam Trail Camera
- 1.9 9. CEYOMUR 20MP Trail Camera
- 1.10 10. TACTACAM Reveal XB Cellular Trail Camera
- 2 What should I look for when buying a trail camera?
- 3 FAQs
- 4 Verdict
Best Trail Camera for Security
1. Vikeri Trail Camera
- Video Ultra High Resolution
- IP66 Waterproof & Heavy-Duty
- Amazing Faster 0.2s Trigger Speed
- 120°Wide Angle Lens & 48 PCS No Glow Infrared LEDs
- Easy Install & Widely Us
A primary trail camera with a lot of bells and whistles does what it is supposed to do: track moving targets. This camera is an excellent choice for those who need a simple trail camera to monitor their property or want to watch their property from the safety of their home.
This specific camera comes with a 1520p HD CMOS sensor which gives you great quality photographs and videos that look good and are clear as day. It has a 20MP sensor, and the 2.4″ LCD color screen allows you to watch wildlife even during the darkest hours of the night. It will give you beautiful and vivid pictures and clear audio even in the dark.
It is made of highly durable IP66 materials from the seal to the probe lens. This ensures that your trail camera will be rainproof, drop-proof, and dustproof and will be able to operate in demanding environments such as tropical rainforests and deserts.
A 25m (80ft) trigger distance during the day and 65m (65ft) at night is allowed. In less than 0.2 seconds, with a choice of 1 to 3 shots, this trail camera for security makes it possible to catch each motion as it is exposed to the field.
This device has a 120° detecting range to see a wider area. This stealthy unit has 48 no-glow infrared LEDs, which will not disturb the surroundings. A wide-angle lens will capture any movement you want, even in rainy weather. It also allows you to watch live videos, take pictures and videos, or even set up some alert notifications to get a message when there’s movement in your area.
- Delivering crisp photo and video
- 2.4″ Color Huge LCD Screen
- 0.2s Trigger Time, 3 Continuous Shots
- Advanced Super Infrared Night Vision
- Ultra-High Concealment and 180days Standby Time
- Easy Intuitive Setup and Use
- Creates corrupt. JPG photos and. AVI video files
- Poor battery life
2. GardePro A3 Trail Camera
- Super Low Light Sensitivity:
- H.264 Video Recording: Advanced H.264 [email protected]
- Fast Motion Detection
- Very Easy to Use
- More Features: 3 capture modes (photo, video, photo+vide
This infrared trail camera is a fantastic item because it has a wide-angle lens that allows you to capture moving objects. It also has motion detection; thus, it will take pictures or videos of the subject in action when it detects motion.
The A3 trail camera has good and clear night vision. The SONY Starvis CMOS sensor is designed to capture videos and photos in any condition, even when it’s pitch black outside. This makes it perfect for those cold winter nights when other cameras struggle to get a good image.
It also has nighthawk technology coupled with an excellent image tuning algorithm, innovative illumination technology, and blur reduction, which helps to give you sharp images and videos no matter what time of night it is. Even if the moon isn’t complete or there are clouds in the sky, this camera can get your desired images.
It records smooth videos with audio at 1080p 30fps. With H.264 MP4 format (average 1MB/s), videos are well compressed, reducing file size and enabling faster downloads and sharing with friends and family. This MP4 format is also universally compatible.
Ultra-Fast 0.1S Trigger Speed is essential for catching that movement, incredibly when dark. With double the triggering speed of other trail cameras, you get more pictures on video and all that for a much better price. The game cam can also detect objects up to 82 feet away. At the same time, its three sensitivity levels can be adjusted for outdoor use.
- Easy to use with a built-in 2.4″ color screen
- TV remote style operation button
- IP66 waterproof, operation temperature: -4~140F
- Ideal for outdoor application
- It is not entirely weather-proof
3. GardePro E6 Trail Camera
- Innovative Wi-Fi Connection
- More Reliable Signal
- 24MP Still Image and 1296P Video
- No Glow Night Vision
- More Features: 3 capture modes (photo, video, both photo and vide
Suppose you are looking for a trail camera that is not only effective but also a good investment. In that case, this may be the best trail camera for security you will ever choose.
The E6 has audio recording capabilities and is well-suited for those with limited space. It has been designed to be hidden in hard-to-reach places and is built to last even in harsh environments such as the sun or rain.
It has a 24MP image resolution and no glow infrared technology, designed to catch whatever action happens under your property’s coverage. This makes it perfect for surveillance or security because it will never miss something important such as an intruder. It’s also capable of taking 1296P HD videos with audio.
The E6 trail camera is the new generation of Wi-Fi trail cameras with built-in Wi-Fi (also compatible with Bluetooth). This allows you to download images and videos directly to your phone. Even if you’re not in the exact location of your camera, you can still monitor it by simply downloading the images or video footage.
This trail camera also has a free app that makes it easy to set up, view, and share your trail photos or videos with friends or family. The app allows you to change settings remotely via Wi-Fi and notifications about any movement in your camera’s field of view. The E6 has an antenna to provide you with a reliable Wi-Fi signal.
This unit is designed to be used in low-light conditions. You will not have to worry about the false colors created by glowing objects, thus making it easier to see what is going on. This trail camera ensures clear night vision with innovative infrared illumination technology, an advanced optical lens, and an image sensor. No blur and no wash-out.
With 0.5s Trigger Speed, your cam can detect motion at different ranges to catch those exciting moments in your photos and videos. You can view photo and video images at night with a bright 2.4″ color screen with low power consumption.
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth connectivity
- 0.5s Trigger Speed, 0.5s Recovery Time
- Clearer 24MP Still Image
- 2.4″ Color Display
- No Glow Night Vision
- Higher Resolution 1296P Video
- Battery life is not long enough
4. SPYPOINT LINK-MICRO-S-LTE Solar Cellular Trail CameraError: Unknown Link Type
This trail camera from SPYPOINT has a handy “remote control” designed to act as a GPS tracker so that you know exactly where it is located. This device also has motion detection and will take photographs and videos automatically when it detects motion. It is one of the best trail camera for security on the market.
This solar-powered camera requires no wires or batteries so that it can be used anywhere. Emergency services can instantly find this camera’s exact location instantly should there be an emergency. It also has a built-in digital compass to help determine the direction in which the camera is pointing.
One of the most outstanding features of this camera is that once it is set up and installed, you will only need to charge the Li-Ion battery once a week for 8 hours to operate effectively. One can also utilize their mobile phone’s Wi-Fi hotspot to make an internet connection if they do not have access to cell coverage.
This camera has been designed with a wide-angle lens, allowing it to capture more area and be less susceptible to sunlight and rain. It is easy to set up in a secure location, and in an area with high traffic, it is compact enough to blend well into its surroundings.
- Long battery life
- Easy to setup
- Great picture and video quality
- Ideal for monitoring and tracking property
- Customer support is not helpful
5. Meidase P60 Trail Camera
- 50%+ More Video Clarity: Compared to 1920 x 1080p video
- Improved Night Vision
- Improved Performance: With additional two side sensors
- Advanced H.264 Video: Very popular H.264 video significantly reduces 80% video file size
- Always use with ease: 2.4” color display insi
This camera is one of the few genuinely waterproof trail cams on the market and has the features to prove it. Meidase has carefully designed this trail camera to be able to resist not only moisture but also cold weather and heat.
This outdoor surveillance system is equipped with fully digital night vision and a wide-angle lens. The lens is optimized for capturing more area while hiding in the shadows of shrubs or trees and drawing less attention due to its small size.
With a 2.4″ color display inside, this trail camera can relay images and videos to your smartphone. This one is highly recommended for security purposes because it can be used as a trail camera and a home security camera.
All these features combined make it the perfect drone companion. With proper setup and operation, this might be one of the best surveillance cameras you could ever get. Its infrared night vision has been programmed to avoid false colors and dark spots, making it possible for the camera to capture nighttime images with little distortion or noise.
- Improved Night Vision
- 1296P 30fps Video with Sound
- Additional two-side sensors
- fast 0.1s trigger speed
- IP66 Waterproof camera
- Advanced H.264 Video format
- A decent entry-level camera with minor glitches
6. Yellowstone.ai 4G LTE Wireless Cellular Trail Camera
- RECEIVE IMAGES ON YOUR PHONE, COMPUTER, TABLET
- REQUIRES MONTHLY DATA PLAN FROM Yellowstone ai.
- COOL FEATURES - 12MP pictures and 1080p full HD video
- FRIENDLY, AWARD-WINNING CUSTOMER SERVI
The Yellowstone.ai 4G LTE Wireless Cellular Trail Camera is one of the best wireless trail cameras on the market. It is designed with 12MP pictures and 1080p full HD video resolution for capturing high-quality images and videos.
You can see even in low or no light conditions with no glow night vision technology. The infrared night vision ensures that once it goes dark outside, this camera will continue taking clear photos or videos without missing a single moment of action happening in your area.
This trail camera has excellent features with motion detection and 0.4s trigger speed. If it senses any movement, it will automatically take a photo or a video so you will not miss anything. It also has a 0.4s trigger speed to ensure that your trail camera is ready to capture their movement in high-quality photos and videos when the subject is moving fast.
With the multi-shot burst mode, take several shots at once to get the perfect picture every time. The Yellowstone.ai 4G LTE Wireless Cellular Trail Camera also has built-in Wi-Fi which allows you to connect directly with your mobile device so that you can access photos and videos from anywhere there is an internet connection.
- Battery life is typically 2-20 weeks
- 12MP pictures and 1080p full HD video
- ~65′ motion-detection range
- No-glow invisible night vision
- Built-in GPS
- Data Plans are pricey for a minimal amount of Data
7. Wildgame Innovations Trail Camera
- Wildgame Innovations Trail Cameras Terra 14 Megapixel Trail Camera
- Terra Extreme Trail Camera – 14 Megapixel Game Camera in Trubark Camo | Video capabilities for gathering further intel on deer herd. IR Flash range and Detection Range out to 65 feet
- 21 high intensity infrared LEDs for capturing images and video without spooking game
- Energy Efficient: Design for long term use in the field. Requires 8 AA batteries (not included)
- Strap to a tree or post with the supplied Bungee chords. Takes up to a 32GB SD Card (not included)
- Included Components: Trail Camera and Bung
This trail camera is designed to shoot videos and still photos in a range of 65 feet. It has a breakneck trigger speed and a 14-megapixel image resolution. This wireless trail camera requires 8 AA batteries so that you can set it up anywhere.
The Wildgame Innovations Trail Camera has a powerful infrared flash and the newest detection range technology to ensure that it captures all movement. This is a great surveillance camera for remote areas where you want to capture images no matter how far away they are.
Their trail camera also takes still pictures in 14-megapixel quality, which is good enough for many applications. The best part of this wireless trail camera is that it takes crystal clear videos without distortion or shakes, perfect for any application where you want to capture moving images from a distance.
It comes with 21 high-intensity infrared LEDs. This is the most important thing when choosing a trail camera. The infrared LEDs allow the camera to sense movement in low light conditions, providing clear and blur-free images during the daytime.
- 14 Megapixel Game Camera
- IR Flash range and Detection Range out to 65 feet
- 21 high-intensity infrared LEDs
- Very sensitive motion detector
8. Bushnell Trophy Cam Trail Camera
- Accepts up to a 32GB SD card (not included) and operates on 8 AA batteries (not included)
- 0.3 second trigger speed; 16MP maximum image resolution; BandW text LCD display
- 100 detection and illumination range; Low glow LED night vision flash
- Hyper Image Recovery: 1.0 second recovery means the camera takes more images. More images means more information to help you hunt smarter
- Dynamic video: 720p video records for up to 30 seconds while the animal is in front of the camera and stops immediately after they leave the frame
- True 1 year battery life: Up to 1 year of battery life at an average of 35 daytime images and 35 nighttime images per day
- Data stamp: Capture moon phase, time, date, temperature and GPS coordinates on each image
- Field scan 2X: Provides you two windows of image capture to capitalize on dusk and dawn movement
- Hybrid capture mode: Captures a full resolution image followed by a video on each trigger
- ARD LED Shield: Anti reflection shield reduces glare from LED cover for maximum concealm
This trail camera captures high-quality videos and pictures within 100 feet. It has a breakneck trigger speed, ensuring you do not miss any action in your area.
This wireless trail camera requires 8 AA batteries so that you can set it up anywhere. The surveillance camera also takes still pictures in 16MP quality, which is good enough for many applications.
The best part of this security trail camera is that it takes 720p explicit videos without distortion or shakes, perfect for any application where you want to capture moving images from a distance. They have strategically placed infrared LEDs to give visual proof and infrared flash capability in low light conditions.
This trail camera has a built-in Low glow LED night vision to flash to ensure that it detects motion up to 100 feet. This makes it possible for the camera to capture images of moving subjects without distortion or blurriness, which helps capture activities in remote areas where visibility is limited.
- 16MP pictures and full HD 720p recording at 60 fps
- 100ft detection and illumination range
- Built-in infrared LEDs to ensure motion detection
- Fast trigger speed, so you never miss the action in your area.
- No setup required – great for remote surveillance use.
- The camera doesn’t last long
- Image quality is average
9. CEYOMUR 20MP Trail Camera
- 【CRISP 20MP PICTURES】CEYOMUR trail camera catches impressive 20MP photos and records great 1080P videos day and night, providing a vivid wildlife world, getting more details and experience.
- 【UPGRADE INTEGRATED DESIGN & IP66 WATERPROOF】This trail camera adopts the latest half-open integrated body design. The lens and LCD screen are on the same side, which lets you adjust the lens angle easily. The tighter integrated design of the camera body and the high-quality rubber ring ensures strong waterproof and dustproof performance. CEYOMUR hunting camera is the ideal choice for outdoor wildlife monitoring.
- 【GREAT NIGHT PERFORMANCE】Fully automatic IR filter, built-in 36 PCS 850NM Infrared LEDs, this game camera can capture crisp black and white nighttime images for a wide range. The low glow IR LEDs help to capture the animals in the night without disturbing them.
- 【FAST TRIGGER SPEED】CEYOMUR wildlife camera has a lightning-fast trigger speed and a snappy recovery time which is amazingly fast and makes sure that you don’t miss a single bit of the action whether it is fast moving or slow moving.
- 【EASY TO USE & MULTIFUNCTIONAL】With a 2” LCD screen, it’s easy to operate this trail camera and play back the videos. This hunting camera is equipped with a user-friendly operation interface and has multiple features such as target recording time, time-lapse, audio recording, password protection, and time stamp (including date/temperature)(NOTE: The SD card and the batteries are not included in the packa
This wireless trail camera comes with 20MP, one of the highest resolutions for a wireless trail camera. It provides crisp and clear pictures, making it possible for you to identify the subject easily. The best part of this security camera is that it also takes videos at 1080P videos day and night.
This unit is unique because it uses invisible infrared flash, which allows it to capture high-quality images without disturbing the wild game. The NIR technology gives you clear and bright images in low light conditions, even in complete darkness, without infra-red lighting.
The trail camera has upgraded an integrated design, is waterproof to the whole IP66 level, and durable. This ensures the device’s security for outdoor use, even in bad weather conditions. It is affordable and offers more features than most other cameras on this list.
CEYOMUR trail camera has a breakneck shooting speed to capture new motion pictures or videos in the shortest period. Thanks to its short recovery time, you won’t miss out on any fast-paced or slow-paced action.
This trail camera comes with a 2” LCD screen which ensures that you can see exactly what you are taking pictures of. This hunting camera has a user-friendly operation interface and has multiple features such as target recording time, time-lapse, audio recording, password protection, and time stamp.
- Crisp 20mp Pictures
- Upgrade Integrated Design & Ip66 Waterproof
- Great Night Performance
- Fast Trigger Speed
- Easy To Use & Multifunctional
- The camera resolution is not as advertised
10. TACTACAM Reveal XB Cellular Trail Camera
- CELLULAR FUNCTIONS: On-board Wi-Fi connects to app
- ULTIMATE REMOTE SCOUTING TOOL
- POWERFUL: The REVEAL XB Cellular Camera is not only small and discreet, but powerful
- CAMERA FEATURES: LTE / 4G Wireless Multi Carrier Module | 24MP/ 16MP/ 12MP/ 8MP Photos
- ADVANCED TECH: Adjustabl
This easy-to-use trail camera has a fast trigger speed to capture all motion from up to 80 feet away. It is a great surveillance camera for remote areas where you want to capture images no matter how far away they are.
This wireless trail camera requires 12 AA batteries so that you can set it up anywhere. This surveillance device also takes still photos in 24MP/ 16MP/ 12MP/ 8MP quality, which is good enough for many applications.
This fantastic trail camera is water-resistant up to IP 66, ideal for usage in your backyard or outdoors. You won’t have to worry about rain or wet weather affecting this camera. Unscrupulous animals will always stay away from wet areas, and the TACTACAM trail camera is designed to capture footage of them during outdoor activities 24/7.
The cellular tracking system lets you know where your cameras are by connecting to a free mobile app. You can set up your camera, map out a patrol area on the app, and get real-time notifications of what you see. You don’t have to be there to see it, which is the best part about this camera.
- On-board Wi-Fi connects to the APP for simple setup
- live view option with instant image capture
- 4G LTE Network LED indicator
- 1/2s Trigger Speeds
- IP66 Waterproof and discreet
- Instructions are different in every medium
- Functionality and efficiency are not as advertised
What should I look for when buying a trail camera?
The first step in buying a trail camera is determining your needs. You can get a simple motion-activated camera if it is just for security. Or, for more advanced recording, you can opt for a camera that will alert you when something moves in front of the lens. But there’s more to finding the right trail camera for your needs than just choosing what suits you best.
Ease of Use
Your trail camera is supposed to be a security system that you can use without worrying about technicalities. If your device is too complicated, you will likely not use it, regardless of how well the camera performs. Most people look for an easy-to-use device, making them more likely to utilize their security system in the event of theft.
Durability and Construction
The trail camera should be built from high-quality materials that can withstand wear and tear over time. The exterior should withstand bumps, moisture, harsh weather conditions, and sunlight.
The most important feature to look for in trail security cameras is the resolution that the camera can capture. The higher the megapixel, the better quality the image will be in the end since more pixels will be used to create it.
Field of View
Survey the camera to determine if it has the field of view you need. For instance, a full-frame camera will have a broad field view, whereas a fish-eye lens will only capture an oblique view.
You should also consider which type of lens your camera has, whether it’s an optical, fixed focus, or digital zoom. Each will capture different angles and offer you different viewing angles for what is happening in front of your camera at any given moment.
How long after something moves in front of the camera should it start recording? This is important as you might not want to waste storage recording anything. The fastest trigger time can be as short as .4 seconds, and the slowest can range from 5 to 10 seconds.
A common problem with motion-activated security cameras is that they can only record for a couple of hours before running out of battery or the power is cut off. With some wireless cameras, the batteries can last up to 30 days, while others require you to change them regularly.
Security Boxed and Anti-Theft Cables
Your camera’s security box can protect your gear from theft and vandalism. And a cable that is compatible with your camera is often necessary to record sound and can help prevent tampering.
Can a trail camera be used for security?
Trail cameras are often used for home security, and the best trail camera for security is the one that you can get the most value from. Many users have reported using their trail cameras to capture everything from animals to trespassers.
Do trail cameras flash at night?
Almost all trail cameras use infrared flash, either low-glow or no-glow. Frequently referred to as blackout or invisible flash cameras, no-glow trail cameras provide very different image results from regular infrared cameras. When triggered at night, the flash helps illuminate the image.
How do trail cameras work without Internet?
Trail cameras are not typically Internet-enabled, but some offer Wi-Fi. However, trail cameras do not often provide a small viewing platform like a smartphone application. Camera manufacturers have even found creative ways to access data on trail cameras through auxiliary devices such as cellular phones and GoPros.
How far can a trail camera take a picture?
Various ranges determine how far a trail camera can take photos. These ranges can be between 20 feet and 80 feet. Some cameras are equipped with a feature that allows them to take multiple pictures when detecting movement. In this way, action can be recorded in various frames.
Can you watch a trail camera from your phone?
Trail cameras can be used as security cameras and take photos or videos when something triggers the camera. It is also possible to set up a trail camera to send notifications when there are motion alerts with the help of Wi-Fi or Bluetooth. This notifies you when animals pass by your camera, so you don’t have to check your trail cam photos constantly.
Of course, all these security cameras can be used for security purposes. But there’s a distinct difference in their capabilities and the quality of images they capture. Some are better for checking on the wildlife in your yard; others work better for ensuring your home is protected from intruders.
But the best trail camera for security is the GardePro E6 Trail Camera. It is a full HD camera that can capture images and videos in 24MP and 1296P HD quality. It has a long detection range and a fast trigger speed and features multiple features like a motion sensor and multi-shot mode.
Plus, it offers excellent value for the price with an easy-to-use interface, an alarm feature that lets you know when there’s movement at night, and a security box to protect your trail camera during transportation.