If you have been researching popular home security cameras, you might have come across the range of Ring security cameras multiple times. Or maybe you’re already using them. Whatever the scenario, Ring has become a prevalent name in security camera devices and doorbell services.
When you choose Ring, you not only purchase the perfect Ring doorbell, but you get a comprehensive security system along with it. But just like any other electronic device, these cameras can malfunction sometimes, and the best solution to fix any issue is to perform a quick factory reset.
But how to reset Ring camera?
That is precisely what we are going to discuss in this article. I have used the Ring security camera setup for my house for over 6 months. And I have faced different situations during this timeline. One of my colleagues purchased the same Ring camera a couple of months ago. When he asked about the factory reset procedure, I realized this was a familiar doubt among users.
Hence, I will share my tried and tested methods to let you understand how to reset Ring camera without facing any obstacles. So let’s get on with it.
- 1 What is a Ring camera?
- 2 What are the unique features of a Ring camera?
- 3 How to reset Ring camera- tried and tested methods
- 4 Conclusion
- 5 FAQs
What is a Ring camera?
Have you ever noticed how home and office spaces today have surveillance cameras installed around them to keep an eye on in case something happens? A Ring camera is also a type of security camera that is affordable and motion-activated. The installation process is very straightforward, and you do not need much effort to maintain these cameras.
These cameras take the help of Wi-Fi to function, and that is the best part I appreciate about them. And even if you cannot view the cameras physically, you can easily access the footage remotely, no matter where you are. As long as you have a laptop or a smartphone with you, you can have a look at the videos whenever you want to.
Amazon has now taken over the very popular brand ‘Ring’, and they are now focusing on simple yet the best-quality monitoring.
There are different types of Ring cameras you can choose from. I will cover them quickly to help you understand what you are getting into.
Consider it as a three-in-one security package that combines a Ring doorbell, an intercom, and a camera in a single rectangular device.
This is another type suitable for protecting your house with the help of two powerful floodlights. What’s interesting is that these floodlights are motion activated.
A spotlight camera is a security camera that contains a built-in light. And the primary feature is that this light is motion-activated at night.
This is one of the most popular models from the brand, and I have personally used this for my home. But it’s not famous for no reason. This wireless security camera is powered by batteries and does not require any screws.
In terms of looks, the internal camera is very similar to the Ring stick-up camp. But that is where the similarities end. You have to plug these cameras into an outlet to function correctly.
What are the unique features of a Ring camera?
By now, we have an idea that a Ring camera is quite popular and has established a firm name among users. But what are the special features you enjoy with a Ring camera? And do these features meet your requirements for purchasing a good-quality security camera? Let’s have a look.
1080 HD image
When you install a security camera in your home or office space, you want a clear view of what is going on without missing any important detail. The HD 1080p cameras give you a crisp and clear view of everything happening in the space. You will not have to experience any blurry images, even in low light conditions.
Small and compact
Almost every Ring camera model is compact, and you can easily install them in corners of your house or office without attracting much attention.
Ring cameras take it up a notch with the two-way audio feature. You can also communicate whatever you need to anyone in the room the camera is monitoring. Why just get a live view when you can simply elevate the experience?
Night vision is terrific to be aware of anything lurking in the dark so that you can protect yourself and your family members at every moment.
Wide field view
There is a slight difference in the specifications of this feature based on the model you select. But the 140-150 degrees wide-angle view and 85 vertical-angle views help you cover most of the space affair home.
It will be pretty impossible for anyone to enter your house when a loud siren blows as soon as there are any danger signs. This is why I love Ring security cameras. This feature will not be found in every model, but I have seen the floodlight cam containing a siren.
Every Ring camera comes with a 1-year warranty, which speaks volumes about the quality you get.
You can find more detailed features if you look for the specifications of a particular model in depth. But even the most basic ones seem pretty impressive to me, and I have recommended Ring security cameras to many family and friends.
How to reset Ring camera- tried and tested methods
Now we come to the article’s most crucial section: the different methods to factory reset Ring security camera. Whenever your security camera is malfunctioning or you notice any glitches, the best way to troubleshoot is to factory reset the camera.
I have done it multiple times, and listed below are some of my tried and tested methods on how to reset Ring camera. Earlier, even I was confused about how to reset a Ring camera. But I swear by these methods, and you can use anyone depending on your convenience.
Resetting via the general method
If you are facing any issues with your Ring security camera, you can go for the general method to get it fixed. There have been a lot of times when I tried rebooting my camera in the Ring app, and it worked. While implementing this step, you do not have to worry about losing any information from your Ring account.
The only requirement is that the camera is wired, the battery is fully charged, or it should be connected to the Wi-Fi. You can change Wifi network if necessary to have a reliable connection. Here are the steps you can follow-
1. Launch the Ring app. When you see the app’s home screen, an icon displaying 3 lines will be present in the top left corner of the Ring app. Click on that icon.
2. Click on ‘Devices.’
3. The device dashboard will appear next. If your camera is not connected to the Wi-Fi, you’ll get a red symbol on the screen’s top. You can click it to perform the troubleshooting steps and access Wifi settings.
4. Click on Device Health. Scroll down the menu and click on the ‘Tools’ option.
5. Now click the ‘Reboot this Device’ button, after which the camera will start rebooting. This process will take a few minutes. If your Wi-Fi gets disconnected, we connect it and try to reboot again.
That’s it! The reset process is complete, and your camera should function normally now.
There is another alternative process you can try. But it will remove the entire data from the camera, including the saved recordings. Here are the steps to do that.
1. Launch the Ring application, and check the devices in your account.
2. Tap on the camera you want to reset to check more details. Click on ‘Device Settings’ next to the gear icon.
3. Now click on ‘General Settings’ located at the bottom of the menu, and then click on the ‘Remove this device’ option. You will see this option at the bottom of the screen, and once you click on it, all the data will be erased from the camera. You will get an option to confirm your decision, so you might need to press the same button again.
4. Now, if you lift the cover from the back of your Ring camera, you may notice a small Orange button. This is typically present in every model and is easy to spot.
5. Now press the button and hold it in that position for at least 10 to 20 seconds. You will notice a small LED light flashing at the front of the device.
6. The light will keep flashing for a few minutes while the camera resets to factory settings. When the light turns off, it indicates that the process is complete, and you can now set up your camera again.
The first three steps in this process are not mandatory. But performing them will ensure your device gets a deep factory reset and return to the settings like when you purchased the camera.
Resetting Ring Stick-up 1st gen camera
If you own the Ring Stick-up 1st gen camera, here are the steps you can use to reset the camera. The implementation is extremely simple, and the possibility of facing any obstacle while performing this step is highly unlikely.
1. Your stick-up first-gen camera will have a small cover on the back. And when you lift that cover, you will see a small orange setup button.
2. Press the orange button and hold it for at least 20 seconds. You will see a small light flashing on the front of the camera.
3. Wait for the light to stop flashing, which might take a few minutes. But when the light stops flashing, the reset process is complete.
That’s it! Your camera has been successfully reset, and you can start using it again.
Resetting Ring Stick-up 2nd gen camera
These are the steps on how to reset Ring camera in case of Ring Stick-up 2nd gen camera users. There is a slight difference in the steps between the previous model and this one. And here is the process you need to follow.
1. Locate the battery cover and undo it.
2. You will see the orange setup button just near where the camera battery goes.
3. Once you locate the orange button, press and hold for at least 10 seconds.
4. The LED light at the front of the camera will flash for a few minutes, like in the previous method. And once it turns off, it means the reset process has been completed.
Resetting Ring Stick-up 3rd gen camera
This is the last model of the stick-up variant of the Ring camera. The process is very similar to resetting the 2nd gen model. Here are the steps you need to follow.
1. Remove the battery cover of the camera.
2. Locate the orange setup button, and press and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
3. You will soon know when the resetting process is complete once the camera enters the setup mode.
Resetting Ring indoor cam, spotlight cam wired, stick-up cam elite, floodlight cam (normal, wired plus, wired pro)
If you are the owner of any of the cameras mentioned above, they follow similar steps to reset. And here is the process you need to follow.
1. Locate the setup button on the top of the camera. If you own the Ring stick-up cam elite, the setup button will be under the back cover.
2. Once you find the setup button, press and hold it for at least 10 seconds.
3. The reset process will soon be complete, and the camera will enter the setup mode.
That’s it! We have come to the end of the section, and now you know how to reset Ring camera based on your model.
Being a tech enthusiast, I have always enjoyed exploring the different features of any device. And I believe that whenever you face any issue with any electronic device, or it starts malfunctioning, it allows you to dive deep into the issue and test out different methods to determine the root cause.
Yes, resetting a Ring camera can initially seem complicated, especially when you have a lot of data. But when you reset the camera, you get to start again from a blank canvas and enjoy the features to their full potential. Restoring the camera to its original functions will also eliminate any glitches and problems and help the camera perform smoothly.
Hopefully, the article has been of help, and I have been able to answer the question of- ‘ how to reset Ring camera’ properly.
Yes, you can find a reset button on a Ring camera. But the location of the button depends on the model you are using. For example, the reset button will be on top while resetting Ring spotlight cam.
How do you reset Ring camera in new owner?
You can simply remove the back cover and locate an orange button to reset a Ring camera. Once you find it, press and hold the button for approximately 20 seconds, then release it.
A small light at the front of the camera will start flashing for a few minutes, indicating that your camera is going through a hard reset. Wait for a while for the light to stop flashing. And once it does, it means the reset process is complete.
In most Ring models, you will find the reset button when you remove the camera’s back cover. But in some variants, the reset button is on top of the camera. So the location of the reset button ultimately depends on the model you are using.
Why won’t my Ring camera connect?
There are multiple potential reasons why your Ring camera can face problems while connecting. But there are three common reasons which typically occur in this case.
Sometimes there may be connectivity issues if the connection between the internet and your mobile device is not strong enough.
Secondly, the upload and download speed can affect the connectivity of your Ring camera. And thirdly, the issue may occur if the connection between your Ring camera and the router is poor.